Our third Back-to-School post is all about keeping children safe on their way to and from school. It comes from Cathi Kellett, Coordinator for the Safe Kids Greater Naugatuck Valley Chapter, based at Griffin Hospital.
As we approach the start of a new and exciting year, we should take a moment to review some tips on keeping your child safe on their way to and from school. Safe Kids Worldwide, and your local Chapter, Safe Kids Greater Naugatuck Valley, recommend that children:
- Always cross the street with an adult until age 10
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks,
- Look left, right, left again when crossing
- Always walk, never run, when crossing streets
- Walk on sidewalks or paths
- Walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible if there are no sidewalks
- Never run out into the street or cross in between parked cars
- Wear a properly fitting helmet every time they ride a bicycle
Drivers need to do their part to keep kids safe while they walk or bike to school also. We recommend that drivers:
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods and school zones
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians, and on curbs
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully
- Watch for children on and near the road in the morning and after school hours
- Remember that children may move in unpredictable ways
- Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings
- Never leave a child alone in a vehicle
- Always lock car doors and trunks and keep keys out of children’s reach
Remember children (and parents) are excited to start the new year, let’s make it a happy and safe one!
Safe Kids Worldwide is a global organization dedicated to protecting kids from unintentional injuries, the number one cause of death to children in the United States. Throughout the world, almost 1 million children die of injuries each year.
By educating children and adults, we hope to make this number go away.
Safe Kids Greater Naugatuck Valley Chapter Coordinator
Community Outreach & Parish Nurse Dept.